The Rottnest Rally/Cruise is to be held on Sat 18 March, with the option of boats then staying at FSC for the week and returning to Mandurah with cruisers from FSC as a supporting event for the Halls Head Classic (25 March).
This is an exciting opportunity to (once again) join other MOFSC sailors in both competitive and casual formats, sailing to the clear sheltered waters of Rottnest Island. A hearty evening will then “unfurl” at the Rottnest Arms Hotel
The MOFSC Rottnest Island Rally/Cruise is open to all eligible sailboats of LOA greater than 7m. The 32 nm (approx.) event will consist of a rally for club racers and a cruise for club cruisers.
The Rottnest Rally/Cruise is designed as a feeder for the FSC Halls Head Classic, which will be held on Sat 25 March, departing from Fremantle. FSC has agreed to host MOFSC boats for the week between the two events.
Rottnest Rally Information
The rally will commence at 9:00 am on Saturday 18 March. The start line and start sequence will be as per the MOFSC Sailing Instructions. The start will be a FLEET (‘F’) start. The finish line will be in Thomson Bay, between the end of the old Army Jetty and the finish boat/mark.
Mooring, entry and events on Rottnest Island
- Rental moorings and anchoring areas are available in Thomson, Geordie and Longreach Bays. All skippers are responsible for coordinating their own mooring or deciding where to anchor. Landing fees are also payable for each person aboard.
- For details and bookings, see www.rottnestisland.com/boating.
- MOFSC Sailors are encouraged to enjoy each other’s company on Saturday evening at the Rottnest Arms Hotel (theme to be announced!).
- MOFSC Power Section are holding a briefing session for their annual Rottnest Convoy – the briefing will be at the club on Thursday 16 Feb at 7pm. All sailors interested in the Rottnest Rally/Cruise should also attend this event.
- A follow-up briefing (and dinner) will also be held at the club prior to the event – set for Thursday 16 March at 7pm also.
Registration and Fees
A registration form and entry fee of $15 per boat applies for this event. Registration and payment must be made at the MOFSC office before the event, or at the final briefing. All fees will go towards the event prize pool.
FSC and Halls Head Classic
The FSC Halls Head Classic (Sat 25th March) is an annual event with around 30 yachts competing in a race from Fremantle to Mandurah. MOFSC hosts the competing boats and sailors overnight before they return to Fremantle the next day. This year, FSC will be inviting cruisers (and non-competing racers) from FSC and MOFSC to ‘cruise in company’ as a periphery to the race event. Our boats will depart prior to the race fleet with the intention of arriving in Mandurah just after the race has ended.
FSC has offered to host MOFSC boats from Sunday 19 Mar to Sat 25 Mar at no charge. MOFSC boats will sail in company from Rottnest to FSC at an agreed time on Sunday 19 Mar. Skippers & crew may either train back to Mandurah that night or a bus could be chartered if sufficient interest. Similar arrangements would apply for the trip back to FSC on Friday 24 March.
Skippers, Can you please advise asap if:
- you are intending to join the Rotto convoy on 18 March – and as either rally or cruise
- you will be joining the Halls Head Classic accompanying cruise on Sat 25th
- you will need to leave your boat at FSC for (all or part of) the intervening week
- your level of compliance with Safety Cat 3
Why Cat 3?
Compliance with Safety Category 3 equipment list is a requirement under the YA Special Regulations for any race event across open water which is relatively protected or close to shorelines. Boats that do not comply with the Cat 3 list will only be able to enter the event as cruisers. Expert advice received since last year’s planning session is that calling an event a ‘rally’ and not a race does not remove the requirement to comply with the Special Regulations.
Unlike Cat 6, Cat 3 requires the equipment list to be externally audited. Such an auditor may be coming to the club on Sun 28 Feb, but please check your equipment against the attached list FIRST.
Please direct any further enquiries to the MOFSC office on 9535 6251 or on firstname.lastname@example.org